Recipe // Carrot Cake Muffins with Cinnamon Icing

11/29/2014

For full disclosure purposes, I received some products from Natvia for free in return for an honest review. I am not being paid to talk or advertise their products. All opinions of the product are my own.
Whilst we were sitting in Costa last weekend, Phillip had a slice of Carrot Cake, I always have a sneaky little bite of his rather than having a full slice of it. It's fantastic but at 500 calories for a fairly small slice, it's not something you can have all the time and it's not exactly the healthiest.

So when I was thinking of what I wanted to bake this week, Carrot Cake came to mind and I sprung into action. I knew I wanted to use healthy ingredients only and I said last week when I made my 3 Ingredient Chocolate Cake that I wanted to use the Icing Sugar that I got from Natvia so I put them both together!

These carrot cake muffins are perfect, delicious and most of all full of healthy ingredients! It might not trump the Costa Carrot Cake but it comes up pretty darn close!

So, gather your ingredients! we're making healthy carrot cake muffins with a cinnamon icing! Completely sugar free as we're using Natvia. The muffins are really moist and there's a sneaky coconut flavour in there too and the flavours balance out well!

Lets get to the recipe shall we!

Carrot Cake Muffins with Cinnamon Icing



by Laura Dryden
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Keywords: bake dessert snack sugar-free cake
Ingredients (12 Muffins)
    For the Muffins:
    • 2 Large Carrots, grated
    • 3 Medium Eggs
    • 200 g Ground Almonds(I used Whitworths)
    • 60 g Walnut Pieces (I used Whitworths)
    • 40 g Desiccated Coconut (I used Happiness is Homemade Organic)
    • 75 g Natvia
    • 60 g/60 ml Coconut Oil, Melted (I used Groovy Food Company)
    • 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
    • Generous Sprinkling of Cinnamon/Mixed Spice
    • 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
    • Splash of Almond Milk if mixture is hard to mix or clumpy
    For the Icing:
    • 80 g Extra Light Soft Cheese
    • 30 g Natvia Icing Mix
    • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    • 1 tsp Cinnamon
    Instructions
    For the Muffins:
    1) Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C (or 160 for fan ovens), line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cases, set aside for later
    2) Place all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
    3) Add in all wet ingredients except for the grated carrot to the dry ingredients and combine. If mixture seems to be clumping together, add a splash of almond milk to moisten the mixture.
    4) Add in the grated carrots and combine thoroughly.
    5) Spoon the mixture evenly into the cake cases.
    6) Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
    7) Allow muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

    For the Icing:
    1) Put soft cheese, vanilla extract, cinnamon and icing sugar into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk until combined and mixture is smooth.
    2) Spoon icing onto muffins, you can have a small dollop in the middle of the muffin or all over the top, it's completely up to you!
    *You can add more icing sugar or cinnamon depending on your taste, you may like it the way it is, or you might like your icing sweeter or to have more cinnamon, its completely up to you! It is always better to start with less, than add to much and not be able to take it away! :)
    * Icing should be slightly runny, this is not frosting.
    Powered by Recipage

    So, there you have it! :)

    You don't have to make these carrot cake muffins with the icing, in fact.. I'm making another batch that I could also have as a breakfast option! I've a feeling they'll be amazing when eaten warm!

    If you try and make these, let me know! I'd love to see your creations! Tag me on my Twitter or Instagram!

    I hope you have a great rest of the weekend! and if you haven't already, go and check out my Christmas Gift Guide for Runners! :)

    Question: Do you like Carrot Cake? Whats your favourite type of cake/muffin?

    Like this post?
    Other places to find me:

    You Might Also Like

    2 comments

    1. I'm not the biggest fan of carrot cake. But may have to try something like this when I get home. My wife and I would sub the egg for flax seeds, but I think it would still work. My favorite type of cake is probably the gluten-free vegan cake we had at our wedding. Really amazing. There wasn't any left. Love the idea of the cupcakes though, so you don't eat too big of a piece.

      -Alex Bridgeforth from Addicted2Running.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. @Alex Bridgeforth I've heard of flaxseeds, never had them and wouldn't have known you could sub them for eggs! Interesting!


      I always try to make cupcakes/muffins rather than big cakes as you can always take a bigger slice of cake, whereas the muffins are one size which is perfect!


      Thanks for commenting and do let me know if you try the muffins with substitutes! :)

      ReplyDelete

    Like us on Facebook