Recipe // 3 Ingredient Chocolate Cake

11/18/2014

For full disclosure purposes, I received some products from Natvia for free in return for an honest review. I was not paid to write this review and all opinions of the product received are my own.
A few weeks ago, the lovely people at Natvia sent me some of their products to try out. I've been wanting to get back into baking for a while and especially trying to bake healthier alternatives! So what more of an excuse did I need to start healthy baking!
I'm one of those people that does not like overly complicated recipes and instructions, so I knew that I wanted to make something fairly simple, at least to start back into baking. So, I went about making a cake the simplest way possible, using 3 Ingredients! and it turned out pretty great. 

During the prep of the cake, I thought it was a total fail! I almost threw it away before even attempting to bake it. I was encouraged by Phillip to just try to bake it anyway and it turned out to be OK! I have re-tried the recipe again and fine tuned some of the instructions, so I'm pretty happy with the recipe now!

Before I get onto telling you the recipe, just some quick facts about Natvia!
Natvia is a 100% natural sweetener
Natvia is 100% glucose, fructose and gluten free.
Natvia uses the very best stevia, combined with a nectar known as erythritol.
Natvia is great in coffee and tea, and best of all, you can cook and bake with it.
With ZERO calories per serve, compared to sugar’s 16 calories

Anyway! Enough with the chitter chatter! Onto the recipe! :)

3 Ingredient Chocolate Cake
by Laura Dryden
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 Minutes
Keywords: bake dessert sugar-free cake
Ingredients (Serves 8-10)
  • 160g 85% Dark Chocolate - I used Green & Blacks Organic 85% Dark Chocolate but you can use whatever 85% chocolate you want! - I'm interested to know how flavoured dark chocolate would work!
  • 3 Large Eggs(separated, egg whites should be chilled, yolks at room temp)
  • 2 Tbsp Natvia (or other sweetener of your choice)

  • Optional for Decoration: Cacao/Cocoa powder for dusting and your choice of chocolate(melted) for drizzling - I used Milk Chocolate for decoration to counteract some of the bitterness of the dark chocolate
Instructions
1) Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C(or 160 for fan ovens) and line a 6-inch cake tin with Grease Proof paper and set aside for later.
2) Melt the dark chocolate and Natvia using whatever method you prefer, either over a double boiler or in the microwave. When melted chocolate and Natvia are combined and mixture is smooth in consistency, allow to cool to a lukewarm temperature.
3) Add the egg yolks(room temp!) to the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
4) With an electric whisk/mixer, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks - you should be able to hold the bowl upside down without it falling out!
5) Incorporate 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture.
6) Add in the rest of the egg whites and CAREFULLY fold until the chocolate mixture and eggs are just incorporated. Try not to deflate the egg whites too much!
7) Pour the cake mixture into your lined cake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.
8) Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from tin.

* This cake is best served when still warm! :)

Powered by Recipage

So, that's it! Chocolate Cake with only 3 ingredients!  I'm SO glad that it turned out right! The cake is quite rich due to the dark chocolate so I cut my cake into small portions!

I'm pretty excited to bake more with Natvia and I'll be sure to share them when I do.. I think next up will be some sort of healthy cupcakes with a healthier icing, since Natvia also gave me an icing sugar alternative too! I'll keep you updated! :)

Let me know if you try the recipe or if you make any modifications!

Question: What's your favourite healthy bake?! Do you keep your eggs in the fridge or at room temp?

Like this post?
Other places to find me:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Love simple recipes... I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy globetrotting21 November 2014 at 13:52

    Ah this looks so easy, and flourless too? So is natvia totally natural then? and glucose/fructose free?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bri Wilson If you try it, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! :) Flourless, Natvia is 100% source from natural ingredients and is glucose/fructose/gluten free, tastes just as sweet as sugar :)

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook