Exercising on a Low Budget! + Video

2/28/2015

Gym Memberships, Personal Trainers, Exercise Equipment.. I don't know about you, but when I hear these words, I instantly see £££ signs.

This might not always be the case, there ARE gyms out there and personal trainers that don't cost the earth, but for some that are on a low budget, they may see this as an excuse to not do anything.. an excuse NOT to exercise.

However, you CAN still exercise on a lower budget and I'm going to tell you how!

Walking
Walking is FREE. All you need is some shoes which everyone should already have and somewhere to walk. Walking is low impact, it's something that anyone can do and even a 10 minute walk can make a difference. I started off with walking at the beginning of my weight loss journey as it is so low impact and it definitely makes a difference!

Go for a walk in the morning, a walk at lunch, invite a colleague to come along and have a good chat. Take the stairs and not the elevator! Park your car further away from where you need to be to get in some extra steps! Everything helps!

If you don't have as much time, go for a Speed Walk! Speed Walks are actually really beneficial as they raise your Heart Rate and can still burn a good amount of calories in a short amount of time.

Youtube Videos / Home Workouts
Youtube is something I use on a daily basis and it is an EXCELLENT source for workouts and exercises that you can do in the comfort of your own home for free.

There's everything from Body Weight Workouts, HIIT workouts, Yoga, Pilates and much more! There's everything from short 10 minute workouts to longer 45-60 minute workouts.

A few of my favourite youtube channels for workouts/fitness are listed below:
 Fitness Blender | XHIT Daily | Carly Rowena | The Lean Machines | Tone It Up 

As well as Youtube Videos, there's also apps and resources that you can use to do your own home workouts!

Nike Training App is great for finding different body weight workouts and routines. They focus on different parts of the body, there's different times available depending on how long you have available and they talk you through the moves so you know exactly what you're doing!

Pinterest is an AWESOME place for finding workouts/exercise routines(not to mention inspiration!).You only have to go to the fitness section of Pinterest and there will be an abundance of workouts. If you're looking for something specific like AB workouts, you can use the search bar to find them!

One that I've seen around alot recently and quite enjoy are monthly challenges. I've seen Yoga challenges around a lot(I've participated in some before and I'm participating in one for March with Alo Yoga).

There is also a few on Running Bug too. The challenges usually require to complete a certain pose each day, or a routine each day that increases in reps each day.
Full and Original Image Source:Running Bug
Exercise Equipment
Exercise equipment doesn't necessarily mean stationary bike and treadmill! In this case, I mean skipping ropes, dumbbell sets, kettlebells & resistance bands. All of these are great, low cost ways to get in some exercise and even 10 minutes a day doing any of these can make a big difference!

You can grab most of the items above from eBay or Amazon for as little as couple of pounds upwards.
You can also go to the above suggestions to find ways to use the equipment, there are plenty of youtube videos around for skipping workouts, kettlebell workouts etc!

As long as you have space to workout, you have no problem!

Yoga/Pilates
Yoga and Pilates are very similar, they both focus on developing strength, balance, flexibility, posture and good breathing.

The biggest difference between Yoga and Pilates is that yoga is more spiritual and has a meditative environment that can help improve your overall quality of life and focuses on stress relief whilst improving your body. Pilates does not focus on this so much and instead works from your core outward and increases your body awareness, resulting in a strong body.

Both Yoga and Pilates have their own benefits and the best thing is that you do not have to choose which one you want to do, you could just do both if you liked.

If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know that I LOVE yoga. You don't actually need much, if anything for Yoga/Pilates. You CAN do the sequences/routines on a carpet, rug or towel(although I don't recommend it in the long term).Yoga mats are fairly cheap online and they're great from protecting you from the hard surfaces.

Yoga and Pilates are great forms of exercise and can be done by ANYONE. There are modifications and beginner movements for both yoga and Pilates so there's an option for all.

Here are some Yoga and Pilates Youtube channels that I LOVE!
Blogilates | Lottie Murphy | Yoga With Adriene | Erin Motz

***

So there you have it! My Low Budget Exercise Options! I also did a video on this topic too which you can see here!

If you like the video, then please give it a thumbs up and subscribe if you'd like to stay updated with when I post a new video!


Question: Do you do any of these low budget exercises? Have you any ideas for people looking to exercise on a low budget?

Like this post?
Other places to find me:
** Twitter ** Instagram ** Pinterest ** Facebook ** Google+ **

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Great post! The idea of spending tends to put a lot of people off but there really is no excuse with so many wallet friendly options out there. With the likes of Primark and even Aldi stocking fitness gear now there will be no stopping us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Claire Kane It certainly puts me off! xD I've always been a budget person and almost 'tight' with money and not wanting to spend if I don't have to so it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

    I am definitely thinking of doing a Budget Friendly Clothing Post with places for people to shop for workout gear. Aldi is fab for workout clothing when they have it, I own a few pieces already and they're good quality brands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post I am a trainer and I am always looking for new ideas!!!What about checking my blog?
    http://www.2activelab.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently kinda fallen into the "the gym is the only way I can lose weight" mindset which is not good, so it has been helpful to watch you YouTube vid this morning. Time to get creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Steph I'm glad my video/post could help! Luckily, I wasn't a member of a gym for very long and the gym close to us is SO packed that I'd be sat around too long waiting to use something. Instead, I quit and ever since, Ive been finding cheaper ways to get in my exercise! :) It's totally doable.


    The gym didn't make a difference to my weight loss. I wasn't there long enough.

    You can do it, lovely! :) xXx

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook