Recipe // Jam Roly-Poly

11/09/2013

Follow my blog on Bloglovin'

So, remember last Sunday when I said that I'd be coming up with a new recipe? Well.. Here it is. For Dessert this Saturday, I made a childhood favourite dessert - Jam Roly Poly.

I've never TRIED to make anything like this before.. and therefore, I had a look at recipes online and then amended them as I needed. However, the dessert is not as healthy as I would have liked it to be. 

I may try to recipe again at some point to substitute some of the ingredients for healthier ingredients such as Wholemeal instead of White Self-Raising flour. I had no idea they did a lighter version of the Suet.. so I would opt for that.

I used Semi-Skimmed Milk and Reduced Sugar Jam which lowered the calories and Fat and it still turned out alright. Pretty Yummy actually.

Without further ado.. 


Jam Roly-Poly

by Laura Dryden
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
Keywords: dessert
Ingredients (Serves 6)
  • 50g salted butter, cold and cut into chunks, plus extra for greasing
  • 250g self-raising flour, plus extra for rolling
  • 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out or 1 tsp of Vanilla Essence
  • 50g shredded suet
  • 150ml milk, plus a drop more if needed
  • 100g jam of your choice
  • custard, to serve
Instructions
1. Put a deep roasting tin onto the bottom shelf of the oven, and make sure that there’s another shelf directly above it. Pull the roasting tin out on its shelf, fill two-thirds with boiling water from the kettle, then slide it back in.
2. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
3. Tear off a large sheet of foil and grease-proof paper (about 30 x 40cm). Sit the grease-proof on top of the foil and grease the paper well to prevent sticking.
4. Put butter, flour and vanilla seeds into a food processor; pulse until the butter has been mixed and there are no big lumps of butter left.
5. Stir through the suet granules, pour in the milk and work together (I used a cutlery knife) until you get a sticky dough. You may need a drop more milk, depending on your flour.
6. Transfer dough out onto a floured surface, quickly pat together to smooth, then roll out to a square roughly 25 x 25cm.
7. Spread the jam all over, leaving a gap along one edge, then roll up from the opposite edge. Pinch the jam-free edge into the dough where it meets.
8. Carefully lift onto the greased paper, join-side down, loosely bring up the paper and foil around it, then scrunch together along the edges and ends to seal. The roly-poly will puff quite a bit during cooking so don’t wrap it tightly.
9. Lift the parcel directly onto the rack above the tin and cook for 1 hr.
10. Let the pudding sit for 5 mins before unwrapping, then carefully open the foil and paper.
Thickly slice and serve (I used custard as this combination was loved as a child).

Powered by Recipage

So, Let me know if you try it out.. and definitely let me know if you swapped out any of the ingredients for others!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook