Surgery // Questions to Ask Your Surgeon

2/27/2014

If you haven't read or caught up on my previous skin removal surgery posts, click the Plastic Surgery Tab at the top of the page. 


For me, I had a majority of my questions already answered by my surgeon in the consultation and I didn't have very many questions that I needed to ask when the time came to ask them.


I've combined all the questions that I WOULD have asked the surgeon, however most of them, like I said had already been covered.

So, lets get into them shall we! I'll have generic questions, not specific to the procedures but in general, then my specific procedure questions listed later in the post.

*** General Surgery Questions ***
How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
Recovery period should be about two weeks before you are able to resume work, depending on your job and its activities. 6 weeks before you are able to start being active again.

You will preferably need someone to care for you for at least 1 week.

How long before I will be able to shower?
My surgeon said to not take the risk and to not shower for TWO WEEKS! He said to use wet wipes to wipe myself down with rather than run the risk of infection from the water.

I will be taking my surgeons advice, even though I'm not 100% comfortable with it.
All surgeons advice are different, some are able to shower after a week, some after a couple of days.

How long do you recommend I take off from work to heal properly?
2 Weeks at absolute minimum, 3 weeks is recommended.

Will I have surgical drains? How long will they be in for?
Yes, I will have surgical drains. My surgeon said that they would hope to remove them before I left the hospital (I will be there for a 2-day stay) but it just depends on how much fluid is being drained and can take longer (1-2 weeks)

How long before I will be able to exercise again?
My surgeon said it is usually around the 6 week mark that you will be able to LIGHTLY start exercising.

This is usually at your surgeons discretion and I will exercise when he gives me the good to go and not before then.

How long will I be under Anesthetic for?
For both procedures, you will be under anesthetic for ~5 hours.

How long will I have to wear a compression garment for?
A compression garment will have to be worn for 6 weeks.

Will I be attending post op appointments, who will these be done by?
You will be seen by a clinical nurse for your post op appointments. You will be expected to return at 7, 15, 30 and 90 days or as required after surgery.

Is there anything I can do to reduce scarring or bruising?
As much rest as possible is recommended after surgery. Some patients apply Vitamin E or Aloe Vera to the scar but do not use any creams on the scar until at least 6 weeks post op.

Anything I should avoid prior to surgery?
The following things should be avoided: Aspirin, Chinese Food, Stop Smoking 4 weeks prior to surgery (I don't anyway), Alcohol consumption should be stopped 2 weeks prior to surgery (I don't drink). Contraceptive Pill must be stopped 4 weeks prior to surgery and resume 2 weeks after surgery (I have the implant, this has no effect).

Will either of the surgeries affect being pregnant later on in the future?
I have not had kids yet, but do plan on having children, though not in the near future.

The surgeries will not affect your pregnancy, however, pregnancy may reverse the results of your surgery. You can be left with loose skin after pregnancy which may need revision surgery.

Breast feeding can also reverse the affects of surgery and it is advised not to breast feed after having a breast uplift.


*** Specific Tummy Tuck Questions ***

Where will my scar(s) be positioned and will they be visible?
The scar will be positioned on the bikini line and the incision will be from hip to hip. This scar won't be visible with a bikini. You will also have a scar around the belly button as the belly button will need to be re-positioned.
What are the risks involved with Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Fluid Retention under the skin, this is normally reduced with the use of drains
Risk of Infection or delay in healing.
Numbness to the surrounding area - this should diminish over several months.

Dog ears is another thing that was mentioned during my consultation. This is a puckering of the skin on either side of the incision from where the skin has been pulled together. This is included in my aftercare and will be dealt with by revision surgery if it is needed.

*** Specific Breast Uplift /w Implants Questions ***
Where will my scar(s) be positioned and will they be visible?
There will be a scar on the crease on the underside of the breast, around the lower edge of the areola and a vertical scar from the areola to the crease.
What are the risks involved with Breast Uplift Surgery?
A risk of Capsular Contraction - Which is where the body can potentially reject the implant. Removal or release of the scar tissue and replacement of the implant usually solves this issue.
Risk of Infection or delay in healing.
Skin and Nipple Sensitivity may change after surgery.
Asymmetric Results cannot be 100% guaranteed (and I have one breast bigger than the other, so this probability slightly increases).

Are there any particular garments that should be bought prior to surgery?
A NON-Wired sports bra should be brought with you. After surgery you will already have been placed in the sports bra. I was recommended to bring several different sizes with me due to swelling.

I think that's it. I don't think I had any further questions, and if I did and I finally remember them, I'll add them here.

Please remember that a consultation and a surgeon is different for everyone and these are the guidelines and information I was given from my surgeon, this does not mean that the same rules would apply to you.

If you have any questions you'd like to ask me, you can feel free to leave them here, or you can always email me at laurafat2fit@gmail.com

Like this post?
Other places to find me:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I wish this was something I could do! Can't wait to see how things go for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people have tons of questions before undergoing plastic surgery, but have trouble remembering all of them. Thanks to your compilation, men and women interested in undergoing surgery will now have their answers. Those are very detailed and informative, coming from a patient. I couldn't have put them together better myself. Kudos to you! :)

    Byron Brewer @ Knight and Sanders - Knight

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be aware that the usual goal is improvement, not perfection. Having realistic expectations can make the entire experience much more satisfying and reduce your chances of disappointment. If you start the process with tight, hard skin, you will probably end up the same way, but with better contours. If your skin surface is wavy, dimpled, or wrinkled to start, your contours will improve, but the surface may stay the same.

    tummy
    tuck before and after

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook