Training Diary #27 // Cambridge Half Training - Week Eleven

2/05/2018

A bit of a naff week in terms of quantity with running this week but in terms of quality, the two runs I did do this week were pretty good. I need to make sure I get in that third run during the week, I'm definitely fitting in a run commute and my long run but would ideally like another mid-run 3 mile run as an in between.

WEEK ELEVEN TRAINING
MONDAY, TUESDAY & THURSDAY
Activity: Run | Distance: Bike Commute - Distance 2 miles each way

I totally messed up on Monday. I cleaned by Brompton over the weekend to get all the sh*t off the chain and stupidly didn't take it for a ride to make sure everything was OK. Turns out I either knocked the brakes or got some lubricant on the rim of the wheel because, upon braking on the downhill on the way to the station, my bike was making the most horrendous squealing noise!
I had to take it slow so I didn't have to use my brakes as much, totally embarrassing! I did give my rims a wipe down once I got to work and checked over the brakes and luckily it wasn't too bad on the way home. Still the occasional squeak when I pull hard on the brakes after a week.. but I'm not sure what else to do about that! Fingers crossed it just goes away. It went in for a service this weekend and they didn't find any problems.

WEDNESDAY
Activity: Run | Distance: 1.49 miles | Time: 13:10 | Pace: 8:52 min/mi
Activity: Run | Distance: 0.38miles | Time: 3:50 | Pace: 10:11 min/mi
Activity: Run | Distance: 1.45 miles | Time: 15:25 | Pace: 10:38 min/mi
Activity: Run | Distance: 0.37 miles | Time: 4:11 | Pace: 11:23 min/mi

Run commute day and got myself a new route PB. Typically, I've only ever gotten a PB on my run commute route if i've been running late for the train and had to practically sprint. This time, there was no rushing, I felt fairly comfortable and arrived at the station to find that I'd ran my fastest mile and my fastest time for that route according to Strava.
My run home was almost all in the light which is amazing! I'm SO SO happy about it finally getting lighter, I'm absolutely sick of the darkness and it might help me fit in another run during the week if I have the option to run in the evening.

SUNDAY
Activity: Run | Distance: 10.31 miles | Time: 1:42:18 | Pace: 9:56 min/mi

We ran the route from last weeks long run in reverse thinking that the nasty uphill we had would be a wonderful downhill, however, we totally forgot about a looooong downhill section towards the end of last week that ended up being our brutal uphill for this week.

I had a stitch at the start of my run which seemed to last a few miles, but despite that, I was happy to be maintaining under 10 min/mi for most of my splits - ended up with a new watch PB for 10k completing a 10k in literally just over an hour.. a little gutted not to get under but hey ho!

Pace stayed around or under 10 min miles from the 10k mark, ended up also getting a new 15k PB of 1:31:59.
My hips and groin were really sore and achy at around 8 miles and we had a final uphill to tackle which I usually always have to walk up at some point. Phillip wanted me to try and run up the whole thing but I was too busy focusing on the soreness that I started crying, which then meant my breathing went off completely, which then followed by Phillip dragging me up the final bit with me bawling my eyes out! xD

The final mile was a little painful(I say painful.. but I dont think its injury, just soreness and a want to stop ;) ) and I struggled to pick up my legs.

I finished off with an extra .3 before stopping and ended up with a 10mile PB of 1:39:21. I had a little waddle of a cooldown back to the house.. and then subsequently a struggle to stretch and then step into the bath for a shower ;)

**

Whilst I'm super stoked to have gotten 3 PBs for the run - I definitely think I should be taking my long runs a little slower and have more time on my legs over a distance rather than just covering the distance in whatever time I want.

On the other hand, it is giving me a bit of a confidence boost that Cambridge Half is gonna go pretty well and I'll have a darn good chance of getting under 2:10.

I've got 2 more long runs to complete before I start tapering, I plan on doing 2 x 11 mile runs for the next 2 weeks.. though I may end up changing my mind and maybe doing an 11.5 or 12.. but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Question: What is your longest run prior to a half marathon? At what point do you start tapering?

Like this post?
Other places to find me:
** Twitter ** Instagram ** Pinterest ** Facebook ** Google+ ** Youtube ** 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook