How To: Make Time For Running

7/17/2015

An excuse that I've heard a million times and one that I've made myself more than a handful of times.

"I don't have time to run!"

There are a plethora of excuses for not being active and this is one I hear the most of. We all have commitments such as busy work life, family and just general life stuff, that it's hard to fit everything into the 24 hours we have each day.

It's about creating a balance in life and prioritizing whats important to you. Do you need that extra 30 minutes in bed in the morning? Do you need to watch an extra episode of that TV show you love? Do you need that extra 30 minutes in front of the computer? OR Could you use that time to fit in a run?

You will obviously have things that demand your time such as work, family, social life and commitments - the thought of trying to fit in a run might sound impossible to you. However, once you're in a routine and you've made time to run, it gets a lot easier!

You've probably heard a lot over the last few weeks that I have been incredibly busy both at work and at home, yet, I've managed to keep all 4 of my scheduled runs going for half marathon training.

So, how am I doing it you ask? Here are a few of the ways that I've made time for running:

Make a plan!
This is probably the most important. Being organised and planning out a schedule for everything, not just running, can help make things more manageable. Have a calendar of everything important that needs to be done and find days and times that work best for you during the week as your run days.

For me, I know for certain that I can't run on Mondays Therefore, when planning my running schedule and training schedule, I figured out what days were the best for me.

Keep your running gear near/organised
You don't need a lot in order to go out running. It's pretty straight forward. Put on your running gear and shoes and you can be out of the door in 5 minutes.

That's as long as you have everything in one centralized place! Having all your running gear in one place makes it much easier AND quicker for you to grab if you manage to get a bit of spare time on your hands! If you're planning on an early morning run before work, make sure you have your running kit all laid out so you're not hunting around for it and wasting time!

Run early
This is one of the first things I did and it almost instantly became part of my routine. Getting up just 30 minutes earlier is more than enough time for a run, especially if you have all your kit ready and laid out the night before. Plus, running will leave you feeling energized and ready for a great day ahead!
Don't want to get up earlier?

Run on your lunch break/straight after work
If you have a longer lunch break - putting on your running gear and going for a quick run at lunch time could be an option for you, obviously, given you have somewhere to wash/freshen up after you've gotten back. No-one wants to work next to a smelly person!

If lunch isn't an option, having your running gear to change into and going straight out after you've finished work can prove to be a popular option for some. Before you get interrupted by things at home, get your run done before you go back!

Don't procrastinate
It's SO easy to put off a run. You get distracted or make excuses not to go out. We've all been there in some way or another.

Stop finding excuses not to do it. Just put your trainers on and get out! You'll feel so much better afterwards and you'll wonder why you didn't go out sooner!

Short on time? Go hard!
I've been caught by this one plenty of times! If you suddenly realize that you really don't have enough time for a 30-40 minute run - then make it short and sweet! A short fast run or even some sprints is better than no run at all!

***

So, there you have it! Hopefully these give you some ideas on how to make time for a run during the week!

With all the above in mind for making time for a run, you also have to remember that things don't always go to plan, even when you have one! Don't wallow and beat yourself up about not getting out for a run. Just adjust and move on! You will have time to run at some point..and when you do, go out there an own it!

Question: How do you make time for running/exercise?


Like this post?
Other places to find me:
** Twitter ** Instagram ** Pinterest ** Facebook ** Google+ **

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Derrick Johnson18 July 2015 at 12:41

    I'm early riser. I go out at around 5:40 as that's when l feel most alert and fresh. I have my run stuff ready from the night before, and get to bed early.

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook