Great North Run - Training Diary - Week 2

7/06/2015


We're back for another recap of my Great North Run training! This week went well. No major blunders or issues. I've been quite happy with the way training has gone this week. So, let me tell you what runs I had this week!

Week 2 Training Schedule
Day
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Scheduled
Swim
3 Miles PACE
3 Miles
Rest/CT
3 Miles
Rest/CT
5 Miles
What I Did
Swimming / 13 Mile Bike Ride
3 Miles @ 10:30min/mi
3 Miles
16 Mile Bike Ride
3 Miles
36.76 Mile Bike Ride
5 Miles / 13 Mile Bike Ride

I swapped round my pace run this week. I would much prefer to do the pace run on the Tuesday rather than have already run and then try to do a pace run the next day, it makes much more sense to me.. Unless of course, there is a reason you would do a pace run after already doing a run the previous day, if there is, let me know!

I did all the runs that were on the schedule this week. I did struggle at the beginning of the week. As you will probably already know, I've been house/dog sitting and I literally feel like I have no time. I ended up getting up a little late and almost made it as an excuse not to do a full 3 miles. I'm glad I didn't!

My long run this week actually went really well and I definitely felt like I could have gone further. My legs were aching from the previous days bike ride but nothing major. I took some Ibuprofen and used some Flexiseq gel on my calf before I went out to ease the soreness. It definitely worked! My calf wasn't an issue at all whilst I was out!

For cross training, it was a swim on Monday and cycling the other days. Cycling has been something that me and Phillip have really gotten into. It doesn't take too long to cover quite a few miles and it's a chance for us to spend some extra time together. I like it!

Week 3 Training Schedule
Day
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Scheduled
Swim
3 Miles
4 Miles
Rest/CT
3 Miles
Rest/CT
6 Miles
                                                     

These are the runs that I have for this week. a little extra on miles this week. A 6 this weekend and a 4 during the week rather than 3. I like that this plan has gradual increase in mileage rather than just increasing every run during the week. It seems to be a lot easier for me.

Cross training will be much the same as last week. I have swimming tonight and I will be cycling on my off days (although probably not as much as Saturdays ride ;) )

For once, I'm actually looking forward to the next week or training.. that might change about half way through the week but it's an improvement from before. I used to hate every run!

Lets do this!

Question: Whats your favourite way to cross train?


Like this post?
Other places to find me:
** Twitter ** Instagram ** Pinterest ** Facebook ** Google+ **

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook